Chan-Byoung’s recent flurry of blog activity has inspired me to emerge from blogging hibernation.

Many of us wonder what forms need to be signed in order for us to graduate. We’ve heard stories about the “green sheet,” the “gold sheet,” the “pink sheet” and even the mysterious “white sheet.” What, exactly, are these various forms?

I can now say with some certainty that the mysterious “white sheet” is the “Report of ECE Ph.D. Qualifying Exam Committee.” Your qualifying exam committee chair fills out this form and signs it at the bottom. The highlights of this form include: 1) a list of the qualifying exam committee members and 2) the committee’s recommendation (including the dreaded “Other” option).

As for the “green,” “gold” and “pink” sheets, stay tuned (perhaps Kaibin’s defense will shed some light on this).